Under Archbishop John Lewis an Episcopal Endowment fund for the proposed new Diocese of Ottawa was begun in 1885.
The fund was completed, and the new Synod called together on the 18th of March 1896, in the city of Ottawa, to elect a bishop.
On the first ballot there were 13 clerical votes for Bishop Hamilton out of 53 and 11 for Rev. A. Phillips of Hawesbury.
The other 29 votes scattered among eight different persons.
The lay suffrages, representing 49 parishes, showed an extraordinary scattering of votes.
The Very Rev. Dean Carmichael, of Montreal, received 11 votes out of 49, and the Bishop of Niagara 8.
The remaining 30 votes were scattered among 16 different "candidates."
In the second ballot Bishop Hamilton
received 22 clerical and 15 lay votes, and on the third ballot he was elected by 33 clerical and 25 lay votes - 25 lay votes and 27 clerical being necessary for a choice.
From: The Bishops of the Church of England in Canada and Newfoundland:
Charles Hamilton continued to be Bishop of Ottawa until 1914.
He was Metropolitan of the ecclesiastical province of Canada from 1909 to 1912.
In 1912, when the dioceses of Algoma, Huron, Niagara, Ontario, Ottawa and Toronto separated from the Ecclesiastical Province of Canada and the Diocese of Moosonee separated from the Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land to form the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario, Bishop Hamilton became its first Metropolitan from 1912 to 1914.
Bishop Hamilton died at La Jolla, Califonia on March 14, 1919.